Monday, October 25, 2010

Kanye's Runaway


I watched this a couple of hours ago, and I kinda liked it. Yeah, there were some goofy moments, but there were some dope tunes and a ton of explosions. I can't get mad at that.

After watching this, I couldn't help but compare this to the work of Matthew Barney. At that moment, I realized I've never actually watched a full Matthew Barney film, but I've seen plenty of stills; many perplexing stills. So...I hit YouTube, and watched several lengthy clips from the Cremaster Cycle and Drawing Restraint 9. Mind-boggling shit. So, my comparison to Barney's work isn't warranted, really. Kanye's symbolism is easy to interpret (his chick is a phoenix, and he's smothering her. Phoenixes gotta burn, homie!), while you need a series of charts, diagrams, and Coles Notes to figure out what the fuck is going on in the Cremaster Cycle...and there's a good chance you'd still be wrong.

Man, those explosions were cool.

No comments: