Monday, April 26, 2010

Zero 2 Illo 12 Week Challenge: Week 3

Well, week 3 of the challenge is upon us, and again, I feel unprepared. Don't get me wrong, I've been doing research, but possibly not enough. The first of two tasks was to 1) "decide upon my business structure" – all the legal/tax stuff, setting up shop – and right here was where I felt kind of clueless. Other than hearing I can claim a certain amount of square footage on my taxes for freelancing, I don't know a whole helluva lot.
As far as that goes, this photo pretty much describes what my current set-up is like, even though it's almost two years old. That will change on June 1st, when my wife and I will move into our new house, where I'll have my own spot. (It's all happening at once...new house, new family member to prepare for!) The size is just right for me to do my thing, and I can't wait to set it up.
But, I digress. I think it's time I have a long-overdue discussion with my pal Sam about how she set her business up, and whatever struggles she may have encountered. If anything, I'm sure she'd be able set me on the right path.

Next, I had to 2) "lay the foundations of my marketing strategy", and if you look at the challenge entry, the first thing I have to do is figure out who I'm trying to impress. I have to say my target is art directors. The next step?:
Based on your research, I’d like you to gather a targeted list of 10 Companies, Publishers, Art Directors or Manufacturers that you will be contacting when we get to that part of the challenge.
Well, I took that as a call to gather the art director info for the following ten magazines/newspapers:
Playboy, The New Yorker, Rolling Stone, The Walrus, Monocle, Esquire, Maxim, National Post, and Complex. This list might need some tweaking, as I've been thinking about some of these titles since college (I remember seeing Playboy Japan on an illustrator's client list and thought that was the most amazing thing ever). And the last step:
Armed with everything you now know about your list of contacts, plan out 6 portfolio pieces that you will be creating in the next 3 weeks of the challenge...
Okay, two or three of these will need to have caricature involved. Admittedly, not my strong point, but I'm down to get better. Some musicians, actors, political figures, etc. Maybe the other half should be concept-driven or humorous? I'd say that's the move.

I guess that's it! I really didn't think I'd get this far as flushing out what needs to be done. I did have a few notes to go by. I'm gonna roll by the Zero 2 Illo clubhouse and see what my compatriots have done, and take notes. And Jonathon has already posted this week's assignment, so I'm going to give it a look before bed.
I'm feeling way more accomplished than I thought I would. Either that, or I'm super-deluded!

No comments: