Monday, March 02, 2009

A Lesson in Humility

Fedora and Comics
Top: Chillin' at the King's Head with my man Shawn.
Below: Loot from Comic Factory 4.
The Big Book of Thugs, The Big Book of Little Criminals, Evan Dorkin's Dork #5, Glenn Barr's edition of Sparrow, and Doug TenNapel's Black Cherry.

Saturday was a fine day, thanks to hanging out with Shawn. Comic and record shopping was the mission, and I think we grabbed some great shit. While looking at a second hand copy of 9-11 Emergency Relief at Comic Factory 4, I came across a story in there that I thought was sub-par. Anytime I see something in a comic store that I think is crap, I tend to go through a mental checklist that knocks me off of my high horse.
  1. Can you do any better than this? And...
  2. Someone in the world thinks this is the hottest shit ever, so there. Different strokes, man.
It's a good little ego check. I can't entirely dismiss something as "shite" anymore, it's probably just not for me. And I know fully that you can't please everyone. Attempting to do so amounts to wasted time and energy. In the end, all you can do is push yourself to do the absolute best you can and progress constantly.
I can't say that everything I do ends up that way, but the thought of doing my best is in the back of my mind every time.
I'm not sure what I'm trying to say, but I felt the need to say it.

No comments: