Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Illustration Friday: "Flight"

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Muta Slays Another, 2005 • Graphite and Pentel Brush Pen

Just like my man Troy, this was an opportunity to mess with shading, and bring some volume to stuff I usually rock in a flat way. I'm also trying to get the thick/thin line quality going. I'm really digging the Pentel Brush Pen, it's quite reliable. The reference for this piece can be found here. It's the Great Muta (aka Keiji Mutoh) attempting a moonsault on the late (and also great) Eddie Gilbert. It's like I'm in grade 5 again, and everyhing reminds me of wrestling, including this week's topic. I think the actual blame lies with Jaime Hernandez's Locas: The Maggie and Hopey Stories, which I've been reading at home for more than a week. My love affair with Jaime's work first came about with Whoa, Nellie!, but until I read Locas, I didn't realize just how big a part wrestling played in his Love and Rockets stuff. I just finished it last night, and I'm gonna start it again. There's so many subtle things in his work.
For kicks, here's a similarly-themed piece that I did almost two years ago:

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Props to ImageShack for hosting my images. Use 'em...they rule!

EDIT: In the Muta illustration, I forgot to mention that Guy Burwell's use of foreshortening was a big influence on me, too.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Very neat.. the wrestling one is funny..

Jeope said...

You oughta show that sketch you did of the guy chillin' in the pool and that enormous woman coming off the diving board. I think that's how I remember it. That was hilarious.

Allan Lorde said...

Y'know, I was thinking of that! I fun drawing that, and observing the various reactions afterwards.

TRoyal said...

I feel that. Did you do that right side up and scan it and rotate it 180? Because I can't, for the life of me, imagine drawing something bottom up like that. :)

Allan Lorde said...

I drew it straight up, adapted from the reference, and I rotated it while drawing to get certain things down properly. My man Mark pointed out how the pecs are a little off.
This was a challenge, but still fun.

Allan Lorde said...

Thanks, Lili! I like your show.