Sunday, October 26, 2003

The Current Status of My Relationship with Pro Wrestling

Status: shitty.
Sorry for not being more eloquent. I've been a fan since '85...around the time of pro wrestling's second golden age. That's almost 20 years of watching grown men toss each other about. I still love it.

At the moment though, I'm feeling the same way I did in the early 90's, when music became a lot more important to me, and I stopped buying Pro Wrestling Illustrated and Inside Wrestling for Spin, Rolling Stone, and Vibe. I still kept abreast of what was going on in the wrestling world, but with a little bit of detatchment. I was struggling to find a place for two obsessions in my life, and all things concerning (good)music were beginning to win. Somewhere along the line, I was able to find a balance between them, and a renewed interest in pro wrestling, thanks to the Monday Night Wars and the internet.

Now, I'm beginning to seek detatchment from wrestling yet again, but this time out of disgust and ennui. There will always be moments in your life as a wrestling fan that will make your eyes roll or make your blood boil...sometimes both. I can't watch Raw or SmackDown! without both of those things happening.
I'm tired of McMahon putting his personal entertainment(and his family!) before that of the fans. It's rather sickening to watch...so I won't. Truthfully...Scott Keith's program rants(which I get sent to my e-mail) have been far more entertaining than the actual programs for a while...a long while(with the exception of SmackDown!...until recently).
I can't afford to watch NWA-TNA every week, not to mention not having enough time to do so. The same goes for ordering tapes. Believe me, I wish I could. So, until things get better with WWE(I'm not holding my breath...we're in for a LONG dry spell), or I have an ample supply of time and money(who does, really), I'm saying "bye" to wrestling for a while. Don't get me wrong...I'll still read Mr. Keith's rants n' whatnot, but I'm not going out of my way to watch anything. Currently, it's just not worth it.

No comments: